Professor Adeyeye standing outside in a blazer and shirt

We’re strengthening relationships with researchers in India thanks to the awarding of a prestigious Royal Society Visiting Fellowship to our Physics Professor Adekunle Adeyeye.

Professor Adeyeye has worked remotely on successful research projects with The Indian Institute of Technology in Hyderabad over the last four years. 

The partnership has already resulted in several peer-reviewed scientific publications and Professor Adeyeye will now visit India for the first time to meet his collaborators in person and forge new connections. 

The Royal Society Yusuf Hamied Visiting Fellowship will enable Professor Adeyeye to work in India for up to 12-weeks to build on the relationships he has developed online and explore new collaborative projects. 

Exploring innovative research avenues

Professor Adeyeye, who is Principal of our Trevelyan College, said: “I’m grateful to the Royal Society for this opportunity. 

“It will give me the chance to spend immersive time with the students I’ve been working with online and to plan new collaborative efforts. 

“Our virtual exchanges have very been productive and I’m looking forward to meeting face-to-face and to making many new connections. 

“I want to engage with as many students as I can to stimulate discussion on innovative research concepts. 

“I also intend to deliver impactful training to the students, and I hope that our in-person interactions strengthen our collaborative efforts and pave the way for new research avenues.” 

Professor Adeyeye is a pioneering researcher in nanotechnology - the branch of science and engineering devoted to designing structures by manipulating atoms and molecules at nanoscale. 

Sharing expertise internationally 

The Royal Society Yusuf Hamied Visiting Fellowships programme launched in 2017 through a generous donation from the Yusuf and Farida Hamied Foundation. 

It supports scientific collaboration by bringing the Indian and international scientific communities together to exchange ideas and expertise. 

Dr Yusuf Hamied FRS said: “I am delighted that these talented scientists will be able to build long-term collaborations with their counterparts in India through the Royal Society Yusuf Hamied Visiting Fellowships. 

“For the benefit of humanity, it is vital that we all use our knowledge to build on what we have learnt in the past and prepare for the challenges that lie ahead.”   

Find out more