Three smiling male apprentices with the backdrop of Durham Cathedral

Expanding access to education, skills training and employment opportunities is something we’re passionate about at Durham.

We recently formalised the Durham Learning Alliance partnership with four County Durham colleges to expand opportunities for young people in North East England. 

Thanks to the Alliance, eight college students in need of work placements for their T-level studies were taken on by the University’s Computing and Information Services (CIS) department. 

They were given expert mentorship from our CIS staff, and three students - Dylan Milburn, Callum Blakey and Thomas Marley - have now been taken on as full-time apprentices at the University. 

Excelling at Durham 

Dylan, from Wingate in County Durham, excelled with us and was named as a regional finalist in the National Apprenticeship and Skills Awards 2024. 

After completing his T-level at East Durham College, Dylan is now staying on at the University as an IS Apprentice undertaking a Data Engineering higher apprenticeship. 

He said: “The experience I gained at Durham was incredibly valuable for my T-level studies as the practical, hands-on experience complemented my classroom learning. 

“I am thankful that the University recognised my skills and potential, and I see this apprenticeship as the foundation of my career.  

“I don’t just see myself starting my career here; I see myself growing and eventually finishing my career at Durham University.  

“The opportunities for professional development and the supportive environment make it an ideal place for my career aspirations.” 

Bright future 

Callum, of Durham City, was studying his T-level at New College Durham when he joined our CIS on work placement. 

He is now an Undergraduate IS Apprentice Analyst in our Identity and Access Management (IAM) team, studying his undergraduate degree apprenticeship with the University of Exeter. 

Callum said his work placement was ‘critical’ to his T-level and helped equip him with the skills necessary for the apprenticeship. 

He added: “My future is absolutely here at Durham; the opportunities that Durham has provided and the teams and the people I get the pleasure of working with are nothing short of incredible.” 

T-level pathway 

Thomas Marley, of Framwellgate Moor in County Durham, completed a T-Level in Digital Production, Design and Development at New College Durham whilst on work placement with us. 

He has now secured a role as an Undergraduate IS Apprentice Analyst studying for an undergraduate degree apprenticeship with the University of Exeter. 

Thomas said: “I would never have gotten onto the Degree Apprenticeship if it wasn't for the experience that I had gained during my T-level placement. 

“I would strongly recommend the T-level pathway to anyone on the fence about it.  

“If you have a good idea about the industry you want to go into, then the T-Level programme offers something extremely beneficial which makes you stand out over those with A-Levels.” 

Find out more