St Aidan's College is named for St Aidan of Lindisfarne. It was founded in 1947 as St Aidan's Society, becoming a college in 1961. We moved to our current buildings in 1964.
St Aidan’s was designed by Sir Basil Spence, the renowned architect who was responsible for Coventry Cathedral, making us one of the most architecturally interesting Colleges.
The estate was designed around a theme of curves and straights, broadly in the form of a hand, with parallel accommodation corridors that enclose a spacious garden and beautiful landscaped grounds, which are used for relaxation and sport throughout the year. The main body of the building, the "palm", houses a library Music Room, Shop, Gym, Bar, Offices and a generous lively Junior Common Room. The MUGA is situated in our lovely gardens.