Skip to main content

Reporting a Hate Crime

What are hate incidents and hate crime?


This is the image alt text

George the Poet on hate crime

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced this short film with spoken word artist George the Poet where he explores the different elements of hate crime and why it is critical for us all to challenge intolerance and report incidents of hate crime.

Further information can be found here


Reporting Pathways

If you have experienced a hate incident or crime, you can report it to the police or to the University via the Report + Support tool. Report the incident; no incident is too small or insignificant. You can report a hate incident or crime even if it wasn’t directed towards you.

In an emergency, always contact the Police – phone 999.

If it is not an emergency situation (often where there is no immediate or ongoing threat or danger), you can call 101 or attend Durham Police Station which is at New Elvet.

Durham Constabulary (Police) also has a webpage devoted to Hate Crime and can be accessed here. You can also report to the Police online at

  • Students can also contact the Students’ Union, a member of the Bullying and Harassment Network or a member of their College Student Support Office.
  • Staff members can contact their HR Business Partner/Adviser, a member of the Bullying and Harassment Network or speak to their line manager or department head, where appropriate.

You can also go to the Durham Citizens Advice; they act as a Third Party Reporting Centre and can work with other local organisations to make sure you get all the help you need.

The University has many support pathways available to students and staff that have experienced a hate incident.

Support for students

Students should seek support from college tutors or welfare officers, staff in their academic department, the University’s Counselling Service or the Students’ Union. Access the Student Support Hub here.

Support for staff

Staff should speak to their line-manager, their HR Business Partner or Advisor, a member of the EDI Team or a member of the Harassment Network. Support which is available will be discussed including access to Occupational Health and Counselling, as well as practical support and advice on reporting and dealing with hate crime.

External support

There are also a number of external organisations that can offer specific support for anyone who has been a victim of hate crime. Details of some of these organisations can be accessed here.

Victims or witnesses of a hate crime can obtain free, confidential support by email or call 01325 267359