Skip to main content


Congratulations to all our new students who will be joining us in September. Once your offer has been confirmed please read our welcome email carefully and make sure you keep updated with the information below. We're excited to meet you and welcome you to University College. #WeAreCastle

For more info about college allocations...

Welcome from the Principal, Professor Wendy Powers

Greetings Castle Students! I’m thrilled to welcome you to this remarkable living learning community and hope you’ll quickly feel a sense of belonging in your new home. I encourage you to acknowledge any nerves you might be feeling, and I promise you others are feeling similarly.  We hope you’ll use these first weeks and months as an opportunity to get involved – try new activities, meet new people, and ask lots of questions. There will be both Castle and DU opportunities for involvement, and the most successful students find ways to engage in a bit of both.

Of course, University is a time to expand your knowledge, curiosity and skills through your degree program.  Additionally, our College community provides a supportive and encouraging environment in which you may explore who you are, what you believe, and where you are going.  This is also a time for learning about human difference.  Your peers hail from around the word, practice a wide array of faith traditions or none at all, and embrace gender and/or sexual orientation identities with which you may be less familiar.  Castle students engage a wide array of physical and intellectual abilities, hold varying political and social values, and embody racial or ethnic identities different from your own.  Part of the beauty you’ll experience here at Durham University involves these and so many other ways our students differ from one another. 

In all honesty, being part of a community isn’t always easy and sometimes involves difficult conversations in which we feel a bit vulnerable; however, with civility, respect and appreciation of difference as core values, we teach and learn together.  Attending university can be unsettling for all sorts of reasons, and we have a wonderful Student Support Team in Castle that is here to assist you along the journey.  This professional team partners with our student Welfare officers to ensure there are many educational and supportive outlets for you and your peers.  Your academic and personal success is at the core of our Mission.

As you know all too well by now, we enjoy the privilege of living and learning in a castle on a world heritage site.  This requires tremendous regard for our physical surroundings and is a shared responsibility.  We are each trusted as caretakers of history while we prepare for and advance the future. 

In closing, please keep in mind these keys to your success as a new student (fresher) in University College – those who open their hearts and minds to others, those who practice civility and respect, those who ask for assistance, and those who show up and get involved – these are the students most likely to flourish in this renowned learning community.  On behalf of the entire Castle staff, we are delighted you’ve joined us!  This community is better because you are here.  Let us know if you have questions or need any support.

Floreat Castellum!
Castle flourishing always


Professor Wendy Powers

Professor Wendy Powers, Principal

University student
I'm thrilled to serve as your Senior Student this year. Think of me as the connective thread between our vibrant Junior Common Room (JCR) and the broader university landscape. As Senior Student, I wear three hats with pride: Firstly, I lead and support the JCR Executive Committee. Secondly, I represent Castle to the Middle Common Room, the Senior Common Room, College Office, and beyond. Lastly, I'm your voice to the larger university and the Students' Union, ensuring your views are heard. Hailing from Mumbai, India, I find solace in reading, writing, and long walks. Feel free to reach out if you have questions or want to chat. Let's make this year unforgettable together.

Ananya Nair
JCR Senior Student
University student
As your college JCR Development Officer, I’m working to provide a warm, authentic Castle welcome to all incoming undergraduates this September. Together with my fellow student executive officers and volunteer fresher representatives (Freps), I strive to ensure that every incoming member of our Castle community finds something for them upon arrival - whatever your background, interests, preferences, or plans, there’s something for everyone here at Castle. Ever the community, University College is our team’s pride and joy and I can’t wait to welcome you all!

Hannah Kisiala
JCR Development Officer


 Banner image of the Castle and things you need to do before you arrive

Checklist: things you need to do before you arrive

Before you become a member of Castle, make sure you read through the documents below and complete the relevant forms. We will also update this page with further details as we get closer to your arrival in Durham.

What you need to do Where Deadline & Notes
1. College involvement form  Complete the form; the link is in your welcome email from College  As soon as possible, within 7 days of receiving your welcome email
2. Accommodation Preference Form

If you have indicated you would like College accommodation but haven’t yet submitted your preferences please do this as soon as possible and no later than Sunday 20 August. Link in welcome email.

Our College Accommodation Guide is available here: 

University College Accommodation Guide 2023-24

If you would like to live in College Accommodation, please complete the form (link in your email) ASAP.

If you have specific medical, religious or cultural needs please indicate on the form and send your supporting evidence to with the subject title ‘Name, Surname, Room Evidence’ by 20 August.

Costs are available at

Accommodation and Catering - Durham University

3. University College Handbook  University College Handbook 2023-24 All students should read this handbook carefully before arriving at Durham. Please note you will need to confirm you have read the handbook and agree to abide by the guidance in it when you complete your college involvement form.
4. Enrolment 

Checklist for New Students - Durham University

Make sure you complete enrolment so we can complete identity verification when you arrive.

5. Consent Matters / Respect Values and Behaviours A link will be emailed to you before you arrive. We require you to complete the course ‘Consent Matters’, and 'Respect, Values and Behaviours' accessed via Learn Ultra. 
6. Healthcare / GP  

If you're moving to Durham, please register with a healthcare practice (GP).

Details on vaccinations can be found here: 

7. JCR

You can join Castle JCR here.

You can order your Freshers' pack here.

You can order your gown here.

Join the Junior Common Room, our student body for undergraduate students. We will share details of Castle JCR via email in the coming weeks.
8. Freshers' Week and Orientation   Our programme for Freshers’ week events, starting on Monday 25 September, will be emailed to you in coming weeks.
9. Optional things to buy

If you're travelling from overseas you may wish to buy a bedding pack.

We invite all new students to support the Castle Alumni Society via an optional donation.


We will be sending regular emails over the next few weeks so please make sure we have your current email address so you don't miss important updates.


We are pleased to let you know that this year, thanks to the generosity of our alumni, we are able to offer two Bell Scholarships and one Senior Scholarship to make the vast enrichment and development opportunities offered by Castle open to everyone, irrespective of their household income.  More details are available here: Fees and Funding - Durham University

Arriving in Durham

We look forward to meeting you! If you are arriving from overseas please find more information here:

If you're travelling from the UK and living in College accommodation please book an arrival slot on either Saturday 23 or Sunday 24 September. More details will be shared in the coming weeks. Students registered with Disability Support who need to arrive early to help settle into College accommodation can do so from Wednesday 20 September.


Freshers' Week and Orientation

We'll be sharing more information about plans for Freshers' Week and Orientation in the coming weeks, as well as how to join the Junior Common Room. Check back soon for updates.

Castle JCR

Get in touch

If you have any queries in the meantime, please contact us. Please be aware that it's a busy time for staff & students and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can.

University College

Durham Castle, Palace Green, Durham, DH1 3RW

College Reception Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 3800


Your first week in Durham – University Induction Week Events Timetable

The Timetable has been designed so College events don’t clash with any of your academic departmental events, but offer you lots of opportunities to meet your fellow Freshers, find your way around and settle into student life.

To help you keep track of where you need to be, and what you need to do during your first busy days at university, in your College and your Department, we have created a day-by-day University Induction Planner. This should help you to plan your schedule, so you don't miss anything - from being issued with your Campus Card or meeting the staff in your Department, to trying out for a sports team or joining a student society.
Your Personal Induction Planner
Students on laptop with cups of tea in Josephine Butler College café